Media Releases

Read all of Paul Scully MP's media releases right here

SCULLY CONCERNED NSW TREASURER HAS NO STIMULUS PLANS FOR WOLLONGONG

October 08, 2019

Member for Wollongong, Paul Scully, says he’s concerned the NSW Treasurer appears to have no clear economic stimulus plans for Wollongong, following revelations today that he has failed to respond to a letter from the Prime Minister in August, urging the Berejiklian Government to find ‘shovel ready’ projects.

 

Mr Scully wrote to the Treasurer, Dominic Perrottet in early July 2019 nominating five projects, which he said could boost economic activity in Wollongong, including:

 

  • Further upgrading the Picton Road to modernise the link between the Illawarra and South-West Sydney, which has also been identified as ‘priority initiative’ by Infrastructure Australia;

 

  • Bringing forward the upgrade of Unanderra Station and building lifts;

 

  • Refurbishing the ‘ghost ward’ at Wollongong Hospital creating additional capacity and relieve pressure on the Emergency Department;

 

  • Upgrading the Wollongong Entertainment Centre (WEC), which is now over 20 years old and contributing to revitalise the city’s prime cultural and entertainment precinct, and;

 

  • Accelerating social housing maintenance activities in the Illawarra providing additional work for local tradespeople.

 

“I’m concerned to see that the Treasurer hasn’t yet even bothered to respond to the Prime Minister’s letter to nominate projects that are ‘shovel ready’.

 

“The Prime Minister is begging the NSW Government to help stimulate the economy.

 

“While other States like Victoria have nominated projects with extra spending estimated to be creating up to 1100 jobs in regional areas, the NSW Treasurer appears asleep at the wheel with no plans at all.

 

“Local businesses are telling me they are struggling with flat retail trade, yet the NSW Treasurer doesn’t appear to have a plan to make sure Wollongong gets an economic boost from any increased infrastructure spending”, Mr Scully said.

 

Mr Scully’s call for action by the Berejiklian Government comes on the back of figures released last week which report the fifth consecutive quarter of zero trend growth in retail trade in NSW.

SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER