Wollongong Hospital is under extraordinary pressure and Port Kembla Hospital hasn’t had a significant improvement in years.
More people than ever before are seeking treatment and care at Wollongong Hospital.
I am committed to enhancing our health and hospital system by delivering:
- Mandated and enforceable safe staffing levels, starting in the Emergency Department
- Upgrades to Wollongong Hospital's rehabilitation inpatient ward and the addition of a rehabilitation gymnasium
- Building a new Community Health Facility at Warrawong
- Establishing a new ambulance station at Fairy Meadow
- Developing a detailed plan for the redevelopment of Wollongong Hospital
- Extending the opening hours of the Bulli Urgent Care Clinic to help take the pressure off Wollongong Hospital's Emergency Department
- Building a new hospital in Shellharbour
- Investment in new CT and MRI machines to help address wait times in Wollongong Hospital's Emergency Department
- Improvements to the efficiency of planning of radiation treatments for cancer patients
These commitments are in addition to improvements to local health services that I have previously secured, including:
- Upgrades to the birthing unit at Wollongong Hospital
- Refurbishment of the "ghost ward" at Wollongong Hospital to increase bed capacity
- The addition of cardio-thoracic surgery at Wollongong Hospital for the first time