The upgrade of Unanderra Station has moved another step closer with the publication of the Review of Environmental Factors (REF) open for community consultation until Monday, 3 August 2020.
The REF is a planning document outlining the proposed work, potential impacts and mitigation measures.
It is also the final step in the process for the Unanderra Station upgrade to obtain final planning approval.
Member for Wollongong, Paul Scully, said the REF process was the last chance for the local community to have its say on the Unanderra Station upgrade, including building its much needed lifts.
“This is perhaps the most important stage of the community consultation process.
“I strongly encourage all of the commuters who use Unanderra Station in particular to jump on the Transport for NSW website and email address and tell the designers what you want to see so the suggestions can be factored into the final design of the upgrade”, he said.
Mr Scully said the local community had made a series of suggestions when the concept design for the Unanderra Station upgrade was released in March.
Feedback on the initial concept design suggested the following improvements:
- consideration of canopies on the footbridge;
- questions around additional commuter parking;
- consideration of CCTV and lighting; and,
- consideration of additional Opal card readers.
“We need to use this final stage of the consultation process to make sure the suggestions to improve the concept design, especially including canopies on the footbridge are incorporated into the final design prior to final approval.
Mr Scully also said that Transport for NSW has published details for the upgrade of Towradgi Station.
The Towradgi Station upgrade will include:
- new footbridge over the rail corridor connecting the platforms of Towradgi Station.
- two new lifts which will have three stops including platform level, road/pedestrian level and footbridge level. Lift landings will also have canopies at the waiting areas.
- new footpaths to connect Towradgi Road and Weber Crescent to the station and the new footbridge, as well as footpaths to the new accessible car spaces and kiss and ride.
- two accessible parking spaces and a kiss and ride zone on Weber Crescent.
- new stairs on either side of the footbridge.
- replacement of the existing station toilet with a new family accessible toilet.
- replacement of platform shelters.
- minor regrading and widening of the station platforms.
- ancillary upgrades such as upgrades to CCTV and lighting, handrails, drainage works, landscaping, wayfinding and signage.
- construction of a new station services equipment room (SSER) adjacent to Weber Crescent.
“I encourage commuters of Towradgi Station and the local community to also provide feedback for their station upgrade”, he said.
Mr Scully said community feedback could be made by submitted an email to [email protected] or using the feedback form at https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects/current-projects/unanderra-station-upgrade or https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects/current-projects/towradgi-station-upgrade
Please provide feedback by 5pm, Monday, 3 August 2020.
For more information call the Project Infoline on 1800 684 490 or Mr Scully’s office on 4226 5700.